Jannat ul baqi is the first and oldest Islamic graveyard of Madina in the Hejazi region of Saudi Arabia. It is located in the southeast of the Prophet’s mosque. It is also known as Baqi al-Gharqad because of the graves of family and some holy prophet Muhammad PBUH friends.
It is in Saudia Arabia and was established in C.E. 622.
According to Islamic tradition, It is one of the holiest cemeteries. It had been the resting place for Holy prophet Muhammad PBUH’s friends and relatives. So that’s why this ground holds Much significance for Muslims.
When Holy Prophet Muhammad PBUH came from Makkah to Madina In September 622 C.E, al baqi was just a land covered with Boxthorn trees.
At Madina, Al Baqi was located behind the houses in the city.
During the Battle of Badr, the daughter of the Holy Prophet Muhammad PBUH called Ruqayyah (RA) went sick and died in 624, so she was buried In al Baqi. She was the first to get buried In Jannat al Baqi.
The first companion of Holy Prophet Muhammad PBUH Uthman bin Mazoon (RA) died And was buried in Jannat ul baqi, including many unmarked graves.
The forces loyal to Wahhabi-Saudi Alliance demolished the cemetery In 1806 and 1925.
Famous Graves in Jannat al Baqi
1. Graves of Saffiyah bint Abdul Mutallib (RA) and Aatikah (RA) her sister, aunts of Prophet Muhammad PBUH
2. Graves of Abdullah bin Jafar (RA) and Aqeel bin Abi Talib (RA), Relatives of the Prophet (PBUH)
3. Graves of the Wives of Muhammad PBUH except for Khadija bint Khalid (RA) and Maymuna bint al-Harith (RA)
4. Graves of the Daughters of Prophet (PBUH) Fatimah Zahra (RA), Ruqayyah (RA), Zainab (RA), and Umme Kulthum (RA)
5. Graves of theClose Family of Prophet Muhammad PBUH
These graves include; including his uncle, Abbas bin Abdul Muttalib, Zainul Abideen bin Husain bin Ali, Hasan bin Ali bin Abi Taleb, Muhammad al-Baqir bin Zainul Abideen and Jafar bin Muhammad al-Baqi.
6. Grave of Ebrahim, Infant son of Prophet Muhammad PBUH
7. Graves of the Martyrs of the Battle of Harrah
The battle of Harrah was fought against Yazeed bin Muawiyah’s army, who wanted to destroy the city of Madinah. Yazeed bin Muawiyah is the same person who ordered the killing of Hussain Ibn Ali (RA), grandson of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), and his family in the battle of Karbala.