Muslims around the world have just welcomed the Islamic New Year, which falls on 1 Muharram 1444 H.
The month of Muharram that we are currently in is one of the four sacred months (Ashurul Hurum) in Islam. According to Islamic law, the four sacred months are the months of Dhul-Qadah, Dhul-Hijjah, Muharram, and Rajab.
In Surah At-Taubah verse 36, Allah SWT commands believers to honor and revere these four holy months. Therefore, fighting and warfare during these holy months have been prohibited and suspended to allow trade and peace. Through this prohibition, pilgrims and visitors of the Sacred House (Holy Kabah) can worship Allah SWT in peace and tranquillity.
The month which the Prophet Muhammad SAWW referred to as Syarullahil Muharram, which means “The Sacred Month of Allah“, is also the best month after Ramadan, the month in which Muslims are encouraged to fast as much as possible, especially on the tenth day of this month which is known as Ashura Day.
10 Muharram, or the day of Ashura, is the day when Allah saved Prophet Musa (A.S) and his people and drowns Pharaoh and his people. Thus the Prophet Musa (A.S) and his people used to fast on Ashura as a form of gratitude to Allah SWT. The Prophet SAW said that fasting on the day of Ashura can erase the minor sins that we committed in the past year.
Ashura Day is also commemorated as the day of the martyrdom of our Prophet’s beloved grandson, Iman Hussain (R.A), and his companions were mercilessly killed while fighting the tyranny of the Ummayad Caliph Yazid I at the Battle of Karbala.
Best Muharram Quotes
Here are some Muharram quotes to give us more insight into this blessed month:
- 1. “The month of Muharram is one of the four holy months (Ashurul Hurum), in which bad deeds are prohibited.” – (Surah At-Taubah: 36)
- 2. “The best time to fast after Ramadan is Muharram” – Prophet Muhammad SAWW
- 3. “Every fast in the month of Muharram will be given a reward of 30 fasts.” – Prophet Muhammad PBUH
- 4. “Injustice done in the month of Muharram is one of the major sins.” – Abu Qatadah ra
- 5. “Fasting on the tenth day of the month of Muharram can atone for the sins of the year that has just passed.” – Sahih Muslim
- 6. “The month of Muharram is the month of Allah.” – Rasulullah SAWW
- 7. “Whoever provides spaciousness (goodness) for himself and his family on the day of Ashura or the tenth day of Muharram, then Allah will provide him with spaciousness throughout the year.” – Al-Baihaqi
- 8. “In the month of Muharram, there is a day when Allah accepts the repentance of one person and forgives another.” – Al-Baihaqi in the Book of Fadha’il Al-Auqat
- 9. “A Muslim who gives charity on the tenth day of Muharram will be rewarded as if he had given charity throughout the year.” – Imam Ibn Rajab al-Hambali
- 10. “It was in the month of Muharram that Prophet Adam’s efforts to repent were accepted and forgiven by Allah SWT.” – Ubaid bin Umair
What is the message of Muharram?
The message of this month reminds us of the sacrifice of Imam Hussain (R.A) to protect Islam. He sacrificed himself along with his family to save Islam by not pledging allegiance to Yazid, the cruel ruler.
What is Muharram simple words?
In simple words, Muharram means Forbidden or Sacred. As some actions (such as war) are prohibited this month.
What is special in Muharram?
The month of Muharram is one of the most sacred months in the Islamic calendar as Muslims all around the world mourn the death of Imam Hussain (R.A.) grandson of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) along with their family members in the Battle of Karbala.