Muharram is the first month in the Islamic calendar, which starts with sadness as it surrounded by some sad events. This month hold high amount of importance in Islamic history.
Events in Muharram
- 2nd Muharram: Hussain Ibn Ali (RA) entered Karbala and establishes his camp. Yazid’s forces were present surrounding him.
- 7th Muharram: After Yazid’s order access to water was banned to Hussain Ib Ali (RA).
- 8th Muharram: Martyrdom of Zain Ul Abideen (RA), son of Hussain Ibn Ali (RA) he was the only survior of the battle of Karbala.
- 9th Muharram: The evening of this date is considered important as the next day (10th Muharram) is the day when Hussain Ibn Ali (RA) and Abbas Ibn Ali (RA) was martyred along with his household leaving only Zain Ul Abideen (RA) as the only male survivor of the Karbala.
- 10th Muharram: It is the day of Ashura, It was the day when Hussain ibn Ali (RA) was martyred after Abbas (RA) was martyred at Eupharates river in Karbala. It was the day when Musa (AS) was recused from Pharoah.
- 20th Muharram: Death of Bilal (RA) first Muazzin of Islam.
- 25th Muharram: Birth of Hasan (RA) elder son of Ali (RA).
Fasting in Muharram / Fasting on Ashura day
Fasting in this month is highly recommended, a hadith quotes that Muhammad PBUH also fasted on the day of 10th of Muharram.
Importance of 9th and 10th Muharram
9th and 10th Muharram is holds high importance in this whole month, 9th Muharram is the night when the household of Muhammad PBUH, Hussain Ibn Ali (RA) faced a lot of trouble after many days that they hadn’t drank not a single drop of water. And 10th Muharram the battle of Karbala happened and Hussain ibn Ali (RA) lost his life defending his innocent family, family of Muhammad PBUH.