Safar is the second Islamic month. Safar is an Arabic word which translates into “Empty”. Empty is referred to the Pre-Islamic Era when Houses were empty as people go out to gather food.
The word Safar also translates into “whistling of the wind” referring it as the windiest time of the year. Mostly Islamic months are named after weather conditions. But the calendar is luna so the month shifts with a day gap of 11 each year, meaning seasons not anymore apply to them.
Here are he important dates and events that happened in the month of Safar.
Events in Safar:
- 01 Safar: The prisoners of the battle of Karbala entered Yazid’s Palace in Syria.
- 13 Safar: Martyrdom of Sukayna Bint Hussain (RA) also known as Bibi Sakina, youngest daughter of Hussain Ibn Ali (RA).
- 20 or 21 Safar: Chehlum of Hussain Ibn Ali (RA) also known as Arbaeen (the 40th day after Ashura). [As per Shia Muslims].
- 27 Safar: Prophet Muhammad PBUH migrated from Makkah to Medina.
- 28 Safar: Prophet Muhammad PBUH fell ill.
- 28 Safar: Martyrdom of Hasan Ibn Ali (RA), Grandson of Prophet PBUH and elder son of Ali Ibn Abi Talib (RA).
Importance and Significance of Safar as per Hadith:
Safar is the second month in the Islamic calendar, and just like every Islamic month, this month has its own importance as a number of events took place in this month. All of us should respect these dates and remember everything that has happened in this month.
Do share this article so Muslims can learn about the important dates and events that occurred in this month.