Weddings? Why did the Prophet (peace be upon them) have many? This is a very common question asked by many people so we decided to answer it.
Assalamu Alaikum WA rahmatullahi WA Barakatuh
Thank you for your question.
Our responsibility is to constantly portray & follow the most effective example of the prophetic teachings. It’s always best to busy oneself with the positive instead of the negative. All Prophets (peace and blessings upon them) remain of ethics, high status & exemplary character, even though individuals spread hate against them. That being said, some of the answers the scholars have presented to your question, are listed below:
- Islam restricted the number to four. Islam introduced limits. Men of the time have been recorded to have many wives.
- In fact, most males of all faiths had many wives. Marrying many wives was a common custom during that era. This is why no Christian, atheist or idolater, etc. living at now, ever objected to his polygamous marriages.
- All weddings apart from the first were when the age of fifty.1st wedding of Muhammad (peace and blessings upon him) was at the age of twenty-five.
- All weddings of Muhammad (peace & blessings upon him) were commanded by God Almighty. Therefore he was obeying the command of God.
- Several matters of religion are only known to us from the wives. A’isha (may God be pleased with her) is amongst those who narrate the most hadiths from the Prophet (peace and blessings upon him). By being in polygamous marriages, the wives were able to transfer the prophetic teachings of domestic life.
- The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings upon him) broke this inappropriate custom by demonstrating that there’s no curse by marrying widows. Therefore, all his wives apart from one were widows. He married the widows to facilitate & support them. During his time, marrying a widow, particularly with kids, would be looked upon as a curse.