Ramadan Mistakes: Ramadan is a month very dear to all Muslims worldwide. It is the month of Peace and Blessings and holds the highest significance in Islam.
These are some of the common Ramadan mistakes we make;
1. Drinking “Drinks such as Rooh Afza” on a daily basis🍹
- Why: It also contains high amounts of sugar, additives, and colorants.
- Solution: If you have to, drink it twice a week maximum
2. Drinking large amounts of water at Iftar time
- Why: Filling the stomach with water is more strenuous than food.
- Solution: Have a few sips at the iftar, then a glass after every two hours.
3. Exercising directly after Iftar
- Why: the body’s blood flow is concentrated around the stomach at that time.
- Solution: Exercise after two hours of eating to ease digestion.
4. Chewing and swallowing food fast.
- Why: chewing food slowly can speed up digestion and help maintain your weight
5. Having dessert directly after iftar
- Why: they make you drowsy and sleepy 😴
- Solution: leave at least a two-hour gap between iftar and dessert to stay fresh and awake for Isha and Taraweeh prayers
6. Consuming foods with high amounts of sodium
- Why: Sodium triggers thirst throughout the fasting hours of the day
- Solution: Instead, eat foods that are high in potassium. They retain water and suppress your thirst.
Bananas are high in potassium. A banana at Suhoor time can control your thirst level throughout the day.
Best sources of potassium for Suhoor time:
- Bananas 🍌
- Bilk 🍼
- Avocados 🍏
- Dried peaches 🍐
- Pumpkin 🍠
- Dark chocolate 🍫
Worst choices for Suhoor:
- Fast food, in general
- Cheese 🍕
Best choices for Suhoor:
- Whole grain bread
- Banana 🍌
Please do not keep this reminder to yourself. Share with your beloved brothers and sisters. Ramadan Mubarak!