Abbas Ibn Ali (RA) was the son of Ali and the step-brother of Hassan (RA) and Hussain (RA), who are the grandchildren of Prophet Muhammad PBUH.
Here are the 13 facts about him that sums up his life.
1. He was born on 4th of Shaban 26 AH.
2. He was the Son of Ali Ibn Abi Talib (RA) and Fatima bint Hizam (RA), who was also known as the Umm ul–Banin – “Mother of the Sons”
3. He was the Step-Brother of Hassan (RA) and Hussain (RA).
4. He had Three Brothers;
- Abdullah ibn Ali
- Jafar ibn Ali
- Usman ibn Ali
5. Many narrations say Abbas (RA) did not open his eyes until Hussain (RA) took him into his arms.
6. He was married to Lubaba bint Ubaydillah. She was the great-granddaughter of Abdul Mutallib.
7. The first battle he fought was the Battle of Siffin. Which happened in 657 AD, between Ali (RA) and Muawiyah.
8. During the Battle of Siffin, when he was fighting, Muawiyah’s army thought it was Ali (RA)! When Ali (RA) appeared into the battle, Muawiyah’s army was surprised to see how identical Ali (RA) and Abbas Ibn Ali (RA) looks.
9. Abbas (RA) was trained by Ali Ibn Abi Talib (RA).
10. Abbas Ibn Ali (RA) showed great courage in the battle of Karbala. And stand beside Hussain (RA) till his last breath.
11. On the 10th Muharram, Abbas Ibn Ali (RA) went to take water for the Sakina (RA) [Daughter of Hussain Ibn Ali (RA)] from the Euphrates river, while returning after filling his bag with water, he was struck from behind, which resulted in the amputation of one of his arms. Then an another attack amputated his other arm. After cutting his hands, he took the water bag into his mouth. And then one of the arrows hit his bag, after that all the water poured out of the bag. After that, another arrow hit his eye and lastly, one of the Yazd’s soldier hit Abbas (RA)’s head with a mace and that’s how he became one of the greatest martyrs in the Islamic history.
12. Abbas Ibn Ali (RA) did not drink the water because he wanted Sakina (RA) to drink water first. Because he was so loyal to Hussain (RA) that he did not drink water when the Sakinah (RA) was thirsty.
13. He is buried in the Imam Abbas Shrine in Karbala, Iraq.