In this guide, you will get to know how you can pray Eid Salah with an imam or at home. The step by step demonstration will help you in praying.
Sunnahs to Do Before Eid Salah
- Perform charitable acts i.e. give sadqa to the needy people. Sadqa can be followed by giving out food too; barley, dates, and rice. This act is obligatory for both the genders to follow and it allows them to follow the celebration of Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-ul-Adha. Besides, if you have children, then give another soda in your child’s name.
- Clean your teeth, take a bath, use atar, and wear clean clothes in order to get prepared for Eid Salah. Follow some extra care to become presentable. You can wear clothes or the ones too that you reserve for special events.
- Eat a few dates before moving out for the Eid prayer. Traditionally, we are required to eat a sweet item before we head off to the Eid Salah. Eating a few dates is from the Sunnah, as Prophet (PBUH) ended His fast in the daytime of Eid-ul-Fitr.
- During your way to Eid Salah, recite the Takbir in your heart. This act would keep your intentions focused on the prayer as you make your way to the Eid prayer ground.
How many Rakats in Eid Salah?
There are 2 Rakats in Eid Salah in both Eid Ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha.
Steps to pray Eid Salah – Eid Ul Fitr Salah / Eid Ul Adha Salah
- Recite “Allahu Akbar” by raising your hands. The imam would recite it three times and you are required to repeat after him. Whenever he recites it, you are required to raise your hand each of the time. After performing it, put your hands down and alongside yourself.
- As the imam starts to recite the Holy Qur’an, place your hands on your chest. Your right hand should be on the top of your left hand. Then, the imam would be reciting Surah Al-Fatiha and an additional Suran. Listen to the recitation of these Surah carefully. Go into Ruku as soon as the imam completes his recitation of the Holy Qur’an.
- On hearing “Sami AllahulimanHamidah” you are required to stand up straight. You would be required to complete it and recite “RabbanalakalHamd”, in a soft tone.
- Then perform Sujud the moment when the imam recites “Allahu Akbar”. Follow it twice. This was the first Rakah of your Eid Salah.
- Again, listen to the recitation of Surah Al-Fatiha and an additional Surah carefully. Go along with the imam in three more Takbirs then follow the Ruku. On hearing “Sami AllahulimanHamidah”, stand up straight. Perform two Sujuds by the time when the imam recites “Allahu Akbar”. Respectfully, sit down and listen to the recitation of “Tashshahud”.
- Recite “Assalamualaikum Warahmatullah” after turning your face on the right side. Stay there and listen to the Khutbah followed by the imam. It is basically about 10 to 30 minutes and sheds light on some Islamic issues. Then at the end of Eid Salah, stand and greet the people on your sides.
- Meet and greet people and start your celebration of this special event. A lot of families follow large parties and also exchange presents after Eid Salah.
Video on How To Perform Eid Prayer
How to Pray Eid Salah at Home (Video)
What to do if you miss Eid Salah?
Eid prayer is an optional salah, you may pray it or leave it. But praying it is a sunnah, so earn rewards after praying it.
Offering Eid prayers or leaving it will not cause any decline in rewards of the fasts in the month of Ramadan.
This should be given before the imam starts offering the prayer.
Importance of Eid Prayer
Various Islamic scholars have shared their viewpoints in order to explain the importance of Eid prayer. Ramadan and the Eid are the months of big celebrations for us which is followed in most of the nations maintaining the Muslim population. The night that takes place before Eid is known as the night of the moon or Chand Raat.
On Chand Raat, a lot of people visit malls to shop in order to complete their celebration. Following Eid prayer on the Eid day portrays and increases unity among family and the other people. People meet each other and wish “Eid Mubarak” when the fasting month ends and follow a rejoicing celebration.